This is my first blog..not to say it won't be my last. I am not too good with keeping up with things. In fact, as my life goes, I usually find something I enjoy, become obsessed with it, then get bored and move onto something else. I should clarify that this involves hobbies and such and not people.
People who enter my life become a part of me forever. My relationships, either good or bad, touch my life and influence me in ways that cannot be easily forgotten. I have hobbies I become engrossed with, and then set aside with every means to return. Instead, they gather dust on a shelf, easily forgotten. On the other hand, I have a difficult time letting go of relationships. Even when my sensible side (small as it may be) tells me it is time to move on.
I truly believe that people come into our lives for a reason. Some are meant to stay awhile and others to teach us or influence in some way and move on. There are those we wish we never had to have contact with. Even these people were brought to us to learn. We can sometimes learn more from them than those we hold dearly. Things like Mercy, Grace, Patience and, yes, Love. It may be the ones I disagree with most that in the end, have taught me more because they can see things in ways I can’t and shed new light I may otherwise not have seen.
Even the best of relationships bring struggle and conflict into our lives. During these times, they may seem to crush us beyond repair when in fact; they may just make us stronger. I believe all of our relationships can make us stronger if we allow them.
The pain of rejection and betrayal teaches me to become a more accepting person. Because I have been hurt by others, hopefully, I learned how to be a better friend. I can say that a large part of who I am today is from learning to live completely opposite those who have hurt me the most.
I am human. There are many ugly flaws within me. I am continuously trying to replace those things with their positive counterparts. It is a very slow and, at times, painful process but I know, with the Lord by my side, I can slowly make new ground. He encourages me and uplifts me. He teaches me to take nothing, no one and no relationship for granted.
Had to share!
14 years ago

Excellent thoughts. It is interesting what you said about living the opposite of those who hurt you most. I've noticed in myself a tendency to live opposite of my immediate family in certain areas that I am not fond of. For example, my family consists of pack rats, and it is my goal to be a minimalist.
ReplyDeleteI think your value on relationships is well placed. As you've discovered, relationships have more meaning and more lasting power than any hobby can offer!
Thanks Stephen. It is a very difficult thing to do and I think you will discover this yourself especially when you become a parent. I remember thinking "I will never be like so and so....." and one day you open your eyes and you have become just that. But I have found, for myself, that the important thing is to recognize and act on those things we wish to change. Thanks for your comments. You have such excellent insights. I always respect what you have to say.
ReplyDeleteGood first blog! I think that insight of Stephen's is getting to you, and making you express these deep, philosophical thoughts! This is so true though. Every relationship is important, whether they are your best friend or that guy you can't stand at work. Oh and I think I inherited the hobby obsession/disinterest from you a little :P
ReplyDelete